Lot n° 327
40000 - 55000
PICABIA Francis (1879-1953)
Precious and important set of letters, poems and original drawings addressed mainly to Germaine EVERLING 1918-1919, 3 volumes in-4, soft sorrowful morocco in burgundy, gilt title on the first plate, titled folder, case. Each document is glued to the front of a sheet.
Germaine Everling was Francis Picabia's companion from 1918 to 1932 and she had an important artistic role with him.
The first volume of this set contains some of Picabia's period documents, including an autograph card addressed to his mother, a few photographs and about 80 letters, telegrams and notes from Picabia addressed to Germaine Everling in Lausanne and Gstaad, in ink and pencil.
The second volume includes photographs of
Picabia and Germaine, Picabia and her cars, autograph postcards, a love letter from Germaine to Francis, an amazing collage, letters and a poem by Pierre de Massot (close to
Picabia) and various correspondents to Germaine Everling, invitation cards to Picabia's exhibitions, notably that of
Marthe Chenal for the famous painting L'OEil Cacodylate.
The third volume includes many original drawings by
- 1 ink drawing by F. Picabia signed and dated "1900" representing a man's head in profile;
- 1 ink drawing signed and dated "1901" representing a man's head;
- a pencil portrait signed Marie de la Hire;
- a portrait of a man in profile.1 ink drawing titled "Le Pilhaou-Thibaou" signed "Marie-Francis", the title of an issue of her magazine 391;
- 1 pencil drawing signed and captioned "Titi à 4 mois" representing a dog;
- 1 ink drawing representing two dogs and a man's head;
- 1 large ink drawing signed and captioned by Picabia "Soldat canadien. 1 drawing representing a landscape, wash and pencil, signed and dated "18";
- 1 monogrammed pencil drawing "In Bex Park - Abstract Landscape";
- 1 autograph note with 3 small ink drawings, dated "1918";
- In the park of Bex", pencil drawing signed and
Return to catalogue